1. Why is Romeo feeling cheerful at the beginning of scene i?
2. What news does Balthasar bring Romeo?
3. After hearing the news, where does Romeo plan to go?
4. What does the speed with which Romeo makes his decision tell you about his character?
5. How is Friar John prevented from going to Mantua to deliver Friar Laurence’s letter?
6. Why does Paris go to the Capulet tomb?
7. How do you think Paris feels about Juliet?
8. What is Romeo’s real reason for sending Balthasar away from the tomb?
9. Why does Paris think Romeo has come to the tomb?
10. What does Friar Laurence find when he enters the tomb?
11. How does Juliet kill herself?
12. What causes Lady Montague’s death?
13. Who tells the story of the events to the Prince?
14. What does the Prince mean when he says, “All are punished.”
15. At the conclusion of the play, what happens between the Capulets and the Montagues?
16. In this final act, how are Romeo’s actions guided more by emotion than reason?
17. By family, list the people who have died in the play.