1. Why has Tybalt come looking for Romeo?
2. What does Mercutio do?
3. How does Romeo contribute to Mercutio’s death?
4. What is the outcome of the fight between Romeo and Tybalt?
5. What punishment does Escalus give Romeo?
6. Why does Juliet defend Romeo’s actions?
7. At the end of scene ii, what does Juliet ask the nurse to do?
8. What is Romeo’s reaction when Friar Laurence tells him that Escalus has banished him?
9. What is Friar Laurence’s plan for Romeo?
10. In scene iv, what does Capulet tell Paris?
11. At the beginning of scene v, why do Romeo and Juliet discuss whether it is morning or not?
12. What is Capulet’s reaction when he learns that Juliet refuses to marry Paris?
13. What does the nurse tell Juliet she should do?
14. At the end of scene v, why is Juliet so angry with the nurse?
15. How are Juliet’s beliefs about love and marriage different from her parents’?
16. When talking to her parents in this act, explain how some of Juliet’s lines are filled with double meanings?
17. Describe the change in Juliet’s behavior toward her parents.