Earth Science January 2007 Questions Answers Keys.
The University of the State of New York
REGENTS HIGH SCHOOL EXAMINATION
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 — 9:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., only
Directions : For each statement or question, write on your separate answer sheet the number of the word or expression that, of those given, best completes the statement or answers the question. Some questions may require the use of the Earth Science Reference Tables.
1. Which object in our solar system has the greatest density?
- (1) Jupiter
- (2) Earth
- (3) the Moon
- (4) the Sun
2. Which sequence of Moon phases could be observed from Earth during a 2-week period?
3. What is the main reason that the gravitational attraction between Earth and the Moon changes each day?
- (1) Earth’s axis is tilted at 23.5°.
- (2) Earth’s rotational speed varies with the seasons.
- (3) The Moon has an elliptical orbit.
- (4) The Moon has a spherical shape.
4. The diagram below shows the equipment used to demonstrate a Foucault pendulum.
In the demonstration, a student swings the weight hanging in the pail and then spins the stool. The stool represents
- (1) the revolving Earth
- (2) the rotating Earth
- (3) the Coriolis effect
- (4) convection currents
5. If Earth’s axis were tilted less than 23.5°, which seasonal average temperature change would occur in New York State?
- (1) Spring and fall would be cooler.
- (2) Spring and fall would be warmer.
- (3) Winter would be cooler.
- (4) Summer would be cooler.
6. Which list shows stars in order of increasing temperature?
- (1) Barnard’s Star, Polaris, Sirius, Rigel
- (2) Aldebaran, the Sun, Rigel, Procyon B
- (3) Rigel, Polaris, Aldebaran, Barnard’s Star
- (4) Procyon B, Alpha Centauri, Polaris, Betelgeuse
7. Which group of organisms is inferred to have existed for the least amount of time in geologic history?
- (1) trilobites
- (2) dinosaurs
- (3) eurypterids
- (4) placoderm fish
8. Which weather variable can be determined by using a psychrometer?
- (1) barometric pressure
- (2) cloud cover
- (3) relative humidity
- (4) wind speed
9. The cross section below shows sedimentary bedrock layers A, B, C, and D exposed at Earth’s surface.
Which layer appears to be the least resistant to weathering?
- (1) A
- (2) B
- (3) C
- (4) D
10. Which rock was organically formed and sometimes contains fossilized plant impressions?
- (1) rock gypsum
- (2) phyllite
- (3) breccia
- (4) coal
11. The geologic cross section below shows an unconformity in New York State bedrock layers that have not been overturned. Index fossils found throughout some rock layers are shown.
Which New York State index fossil may have been present in a rock layer that is missing due to the unconformity?
12. Most scientists believe the Milky Way Galaxy is
- (1) spherical in shape
- (2) 4.6 billion years old
- (3) composed of stars revolving around Earth
- (4) one of billions of galaxies in the universe
13. The diagram below shows the apparent daily path of the Sun, as viewed by an observer at a certain latitude on three different days of the year.
At which latitude were these apparent Sun paths most likely observed?
- (1) 0°
- (2) 23.5° N
- (3) 43° N
- (4) 66.5° N
14. Which map best represents the surface wind pattern associated with high-pressure and low-pressure systems in the Northern Hemisphere?
15. The models below represent the decay of radioactive atoms to stable atoms after their first and second half-lives.
Which model best represents the number of undecayed and decayed atoms after three half-lives?
16. Which sediment size would allow water to flow through at the fastest rate?
- (1) clay
- (2) silt
- (3) sand
- (4) pebbles
17. Large oceans moderate the climatic temperatures of surrounding coastal land areas because the temperature of ocean water changes
- (1) rapidly, due to water’s low specific heat
- (2) rapidly, due to water’s high specific heat
- (3) slowly, due to water’s low specific heat
- (4) slowly, due to water’s high specific heat
18. The mineral graphite is often used as
- (1) a lubricant
- (2) an abrasive
- (3) a source of iron
- (4) a cementing material
19. In which Earth layer are most convection currents that cause seafloor spreading thought to be located?
- (1) crust
- (2) asthenosphere
- (3) outer core
- (4) inner core
20. Which weather map symbol represents air masses that normally form just south of the United States over the Caribbean Sea?
- (1) cP
- (2) cT
- (3) mP
- (4) mT
21. An earthquake’s magnitude can be determined by
- (1) analyzing the seismic waves recorded by a seismograph
- (2) calculating the depth of the earthquake faulting
- (3) calculating the time the earthquake occurred
- (4) comparing the speed of P-waves and S-waves
22. A seismic station is recording the seismic waves produced by an earthquake that occurred 4200 kilometers away. Approximately how long after the arrival of the first P-wave will the first S-wave arrive?
- (1) 1 min 05 sec
- (2) 5 min 50 sec
- (3) 7 min 20 sec
- (4) 13 min 10 sec
23. The diagram below shows a section of a meander in a stream. The arrows show the direction of stream flow
The streambank on the outside of this meander is steeper than the streambank on the inside of this meander because the water on the outside of this meander is moving
- (1) slower, causing deposition
- (2) faster, causing deposition
- (3) slower, causing erosion
- (4) faster, causing erosion
24. Which agent of erosion is mainly responsible for the formation of the depressions occupied by both the kettle lakes and finger lakes found in New York State?
- (1) wind
- (2) waves
- (3) streams
- (4) glaciers
25. The map below shows the boundary between two air masses. The arrows show the direction in which the boundary is moving.
Which weather map uses the correct weather front symbol to illustrate this information?
26. If a low-pressure system follows a typical storm track across New York State, it will move toward the
- (1) southeast
- (2) southwest
- (3) northeast
- (4) northwest
27. The map below shows the average number of thunderstorms during the year in the continental United States.
Which New York State landscape region normally experiences the most thunderstorms?
- (1) Allegheny Plateau
- (2) Taconic Mountains
- (3) Adirondack Mountains
- (4) Champlain Lowlands
28. The arrows in the cross section below show the prevailing winds moving across northern New York State into Vermont during the summer.
Compared to the climate of location A, the climate of location B is
- (1) warmer and wetter
- (2) warmer and drier
- (3) cooler and wetter
- (4) cooler and drier
29. The cross section below shows a profile of a msediment deposit.
The pattern of sediment size shown indicates that these sediments were most likely deposited within a
- (1) landslide
- (2) drumlin
- (3) moraine
- (4) delta
30. Which graph best shows the inferred density of Earth’s interior as depth increases from the upper mantle to the lower mantle?
Download Earth Science January 2007 Question Answers
|Earth Science Examination Question|
|Scoring Key and Rating Guidea|