Dracula Study Guide Questions and Answers Chapters 8,9,10
Dracula Questions on Chapters 8
- List the details of the references to the “New Woman.”
- What happened to Lucy in the sleepwalking incident of 11 August 3 a.m.?
- How does Mina believe Lucy received the marks on her neck?
- How does Lucy react to the setting of the sun against St. Mary’s church? Why do you think it affects her in this way?
- August 17th how has the wound on Lucy’s neck changed? What are the circumstances surrounding this change? (What has happened at the same time?)
- What comes before and after the letters between Billingworth and Carter? Why is this significant?
- Who is the Master?
Dracula Questions on Chapters 9
- The forces of good are starting to assemble – what characterizes good?
- What is Jonathan’s condition in this chapter?
- How does Lucy describe what is happening to her?
- Define paroxysm. (Seward’s diary – 4 September)
Dracula Questions on Chapters 10
- Discuss the issue of madness and God. How is this mentioned?
- Does Van Helsing’s description of Lucy differ substantially from Seward’s? Why?
- How is the evil presented in this chapter?
Dracula Questions Chapters 10, 11, 12, amd 13
- Who supplies blood for Lucy’s first blood transfusion?____________________________
- What does Lucy wear around her neck to hide the marks on her neck?___________________________________________________________________
- Who is instructed to keep vigil over Lucy at night? ______________________________
- On 11 September Van Helsing gives Lucy a “great bundle of white flowers.” What type of flowers are they? _______________________________________________________
- Van Helsing gives Lucy two instructions regarding the plan with the flowers, what are they?
- How does Lucy’s mother interfere with Van Helsing’s plan? ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________
- In chapter 11, Lucy describes the events that transpire at night. Name two of the three. ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________
- What is the name of the Bilder’s wolf?________________________________________
- How does this particular wolf act in the excerpt from “The Pall Mall Gazette”? ________________________________________________________________________
- 17 September, Describe the attack on Dr. Seward. (Don’t forget to name the attacker) ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- According to her memorandum, what is Lucy ultimately attacked by? __________________
- Lucy is dead when Van Helsing and Seward arrive. TRUE FALSE
- In chapter 12, who’s arrival “saves” Lucy? _______________________________________
- Jack Smollet and Thomas Snelling work for what kind of company? ___________________ ____________________________________.
- Why does Van Helsing need post-mortem knives? _________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________
- Who has inherited all Mrs. Westerna’s property after Lucy’s death?____________________
- Who are the victims of the “bloofer lady”? _______________________________________