Chemistry 16 August 2017 Questions Answer Keys
The University Of The State Of New York
Regents High School Examination
Wednesday, August 16, 2017 — 8:30 to 11:30 a.m., only
Directions (1–30): For each statement or question, record on your separate answer sheet the number of the word or expression that, of those given, best completes the statement or answers the question. Some questions may require the use of the 2011 Edition Reference Tables for Physical Setting/Chemistry.
1. Which phrase describes an Al atom?
- (1) a negatively charged nucleus, surrounded by negatively charged electrons
- (2) a negatively charged nucleus, surrounded by positively charged electrons
- (3) a positively charged nucleus, surrounded by negatively charged electrons
- (4) a positively charged nucleus, surrounded by positively charged electrons
2. What is the number of electrons in an atom that has 20 protons and 17 neutrons?
- (1) 37
- (2) 20
- (3) 3
- (4) 17
3. The mass of a proton is approximately equal to the mass of
- (1) an electron
- (2) a neutron
- (3) an alpha particle
- (4) a beta particle
4. When a sample of CO2(s) becomes CO2(g), there is a change in
- (1) bond type
- (2) gram-formula mass
- (3) molecular polarity
- (4) particle arrangement
5. Which properties are characteristic of Group 2 elements at STP?
- (1) good electrical conductivity and electronegativities less than 1.7
- (2) good electrical conductivity and electronegativities greater than 1.7
- (3) poor electrical conductivity and electronegativities less than 1.7
- (4) poor electrical conductivity and electronegativities greater than 1.7
6. Compared to an atom of C-12, an atom of C-14 has a greater
- (1) number of electrons
- (2) number of protons
- (3) atomic number
- (4) mass number
7. Elements that have atoms with stable valence electron configurations in the ground state are found in
- (1) Group 1
- (2) Group 8
- (3) Group 11
- (4) Group 18
8. A magnesium atom that loses two electrons becomes a
- (1) positive ion with a smaller radius
- (2) negative ion with a smaller radius
- (3) positive ion with a larger radius
- (4) negative ion with a larger radius
9. An atom of which element has the strongest attraction for the electrons in a bond?
- (1) aluminum
- (2) carbon
- (3) chlorine
- (4) lithium
10. Which type of matter can not be broken down into simpler substances by a chemical change?
- (1) an element
- (2) a solution
- (3) a mixture
- (4) a compound
11. According to Table F, which substance is most soluble in water?
- (1) AgCl
- (2) CaCO3
- (3) Na2CO3
- (4) SrSO4
12. Given the equation representing a reaction:
H H → H2
Which statement describes the energy change in this reaction?
- (1) A bond is broken as energy is absorbed.
- (2) A bond is broken as energy is released.
- (3) A bond is formed as energy is absorbed.
- (4) A bond is formed as energy is released.
13. Which sample of matter is a mixture?
- (1) air
- (2) ammonia
- (3) manganese
- (4) water
14. Paper chromatography can separate the components of a mixture of colored dyes because the components have differences in
- (1) decay mode
- (2) thermal conductivity
- (3) ionization energy
- (4) molecular polarity
15. At standard pressure, the boiling point of an unsaturated NaNO3(aq) solution increases when
- (1) the solution is diluted with water
- (2) some of the NaNO3(aq) solution is removed
- (3) the solution is stirred
- (4) more NaNO3(s) is dissolved in the solution
16. Which term identifies a form of energy?
- (1) combustion
- (2) exothermic
- (3) thermal
- (4) electrolytic
17. According to kinetic molecular theory, which statement describes one characteristic of an ideal gas system?
- (1) The distance between gas molecules is smaller than the diameter of one gas molecule.
- (2) The attractive force between two gas molecules is strong.
- (3) The energy of the system decreases as gas molecules collide.
- (4) The straight-line motion of the gas molecules is constant and random.
18. The temperature of a substance is a measure of the
- (1) average kinetic energy of its particles
- (2) average potential energy of its particles
- (3) ionization energy of its particles
- (4) activation energy of its particles
19. A real gas behaves most like an ideal gas at
- (1) low pressure and high temperature
- (2) low pressure and low temperature
- (3) high pressure and high temperature
- (4) high pressure and low temperature
20. A reaction is most likely to occur when the colliding particles have proper orientation and
- (1) mass
- (2) volume
- (3) half-life
- (4) energy
21. At STP, a 12.0-liter sample of CH4(g) has the same total number of molecules as
- (1) 6.0 L of H2(g) at STP
- (2) 12.0 L of CO2(g) at STP
- (3) 18.0 L of HCl(g) at STP
- (4) 24.0 L of O2 (g) at STP
22. At standard pressure, during which physical change does the potential energy decrease?
- (1) liquid to gas
- (2) liquid to solid
- (3) solid to gas
- (4) solid to liquid
23. Which equation represents a chemical equilibrium?
- (1) N2(ℓ) N2(g)
- (2) 2NO2(g) N2O4(g)
- (3) CO2(s) CO2(g)
- (4) NH3(ℓ) NH3(g)
24. The amount of randomness of the atoms in a system is an indication of the
- (1) entropy of the system
- (2) polarity of the system
- (3) excited state of the atoms
- (4) ground state of the atoms
25. When a sample of Ca(s) loses 1 mole of electrons in a reaction with a sample of O2(g), the oxygen
- (1) loses 1 mole of electrons
- (2) loses 2 moles of electrons
- (3) gains 1 mole of electrons
- (4) gains 2 moles of electrons
26. Which reaction occurs at the anode of an electrochemical cell?
- (1) oxidation
- (2) reduction
- (3) neutralization
- (4) transmutation
27. Which substance is an electrolyte?
- (1) CCl4
- (2) C6H12O6
- (3) SiO2
- (4) H2SO4
28. In which process does a heavy nucleus split into two lighter nuclei?
- (1) titration
- (2) fission
- (3) electrolysis
- (4) neutralization
29. Which process converts mass into energy?
- (1) distillation of ethanol
- (2) filtration of a mixture
- (3) fusion of hydrogen atoms
- (4) ionization of cesium atoms
30. Which radioisotope is used to determine the age of once-living organisms?
- (1) carbon-14
- (2) cobalt-60
- (3) iodine-131
- (4) uranium-238
Download Chemistry 16 August 2017 Questions Answers Keys
|Chemistry Examination Question|
|Scoring Key and Rating Guide|